Bringing systems design and machine intelligence into materials science for bioelectronics
I believe that bringing future exciting innovations into biomedical engineering requires integration of automation and artificial intelligence far and wide into our laboratory landscape. Fundamental research has a potential to benefit from such technologies as much as industry and social media if we do it the right way. Machine intelligence algorithms enables experiments on unprecedented timescale and volume necessary to deliver accurate data that enable advanced insights into cellular and subcellular processes. This understanding will allow us to design new nanomaterials and their interactions with biological structures creating opportunities for advanced interrogations and development of breakthrough medical therapies.
Highlighted research projects
Mesoporous Carbon Membranes
Machine Intelligence-based Biophysical Investigations
University of Chicago,Chicago, IL
Ph. D., Department of Chemistry (September 2016-present, expected graduation spring 2022)
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
Master of Science, Department of Chemistry, December 2017.
University of Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
Bachelor of Science, Faculty of Chemistry, Summa Cum Laude, June 2016.
Thesis: Dynamic self-assembly of plasmonic nanoparticles.
NSF MRSEC Graduate Fellowship (2021)
Olshansky Graduate Travel Award (University of Chicago, 2021)
Seymour Goodman Fellowship (University of Chicago, 2018-2019)
Albert J. Cross Prize (University of Chicago, 2018)
Scholarship of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (Poland, 2015-2016)
Scholarship of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (Poland, 2014-2015)
Special Academic Scholarship (Warsaw Academic Chemical Consortium, 2015-2016)
Special Academic Scholarship (Warsaw Academic Chemical Consortium, 2014-2015)
Rector’s Scholarship (University of Warsaw, 2015-2016)
Rector’s Scholarship (University of Warsaw, 2014-2015)
* denotes equal contribution
# denotes co-corresponding author
- “Porosity-based soft-hard heterojunctions enable leadless optoelectronic modulation of tissues”. A. Prominski#, J. Shi, J. Yue, Y. Lin, J. Park, B. Tian#, M. Y. Rotenberg#. Nature Materials, in revision.
- “Compression-stiffening matrix for bioelectronics and robotics”. Y. Fang*, Y. Lin*, J. Shi*, A. Prominski*, B. Tian. Expected submission to Nature Materials: December 2021.
- “A microscopic view of the electrified silicon/water interface by combining simulations and experiments.” Z. Ye, A. Prominski, B. Tian, G. Galli, PNAS, accepted.
- Biocompatible and Nano-enabled Technologies for Biological Modulation.” E. Ostroff, K. Parekh, A. Prominski#, B. Tian#, Advanced Materials Technologies, 2021, 2100216.
- “Dissecting the biological and synthetic soft-hard interfaces for smart bio-interfacing materials”, Y. Fang, X. Yang, Y. Lin, J. Shi, A. Prominski, C. Clayton, E. Ostroff, B. Tian, Chemical Reviews, accepted.
- “Bridging the gap – biomimetic design of subcellular bioelectronic interfaces.” A. Prominski#, B. Tian#, Current Opinion in Biotechnology, invited review, accepted.
- “Biomimetic soft-robotics for bioelectronics systems”. J. W. Phillips, A. Prominski#, B. Tian#, View, invited review, accepted.
- “Soft Materials as Biological and Artificial Membranes.” S. Tang, Z. Davoudi, G. Wang, Z. Xu, T. Rehman, A. Prominski, B. Tian, K.Bratlie, H. Peng, Q.Wang, Chemical Society Reviews, accepted.
- “Introduction to Bioelectronics: Materials, Devices, Applications” Book editors: Eleni Stavrinidou, Christopher Proctor – “Chapter 3 – Electrodes and Materials” A. Prominski, B. Tian, AIP Publishing, in press.
- “Nano-enabled bioelectrical modulation: from cells to organs.” A. Prominski#, P. Li, B. Miao, B. Tian.# Accounts of Materials Research, 2021.
- “A Multifunctional Neutralizing Antibody-Conjugated Nanoparticle Inhibits and Inactivates SARS-CoV-2” X. Cai, M. Chen, A.Prominski, Y.Lin, N. Ankenbruck, J. Rosenberg, J. Shi, A. Tomatsidou, G. Randall, D. Missiakas, E. B. Chang, P. Penaloza-MacMaster, B. Tian, J, Huang. bioRxiv 2020.11.30.404624; doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2020.11.30.404624, Advanced Science, accepted.
- ”Micelle-enabled self-assembly of porous and monolithic carbon membranes for bioelectronic interfaces.” Y. Fang*, A. Prominski*, M. Y. Rotenberg*, L. Meng*, H. Acarón Ledesma*, Y. Lv, J. Yue, E. Schaumann, J. Jeong, N. Yamamoto, Y. Jiang, B. Elbaz, W. Wei, B. Tian, Nature Nanotechnology, 2021, 16, 206–213.
- “Quiet Brainstorming: Expecting the Unexpected.” A. Prominski, and B. Tian, Matter 3.3 (2020): 594-597.
- “Silicon Nanowires and Optical Stimulation for Investigations of Intra- and Intercellular Electrical Coupling.” Rotenberg, M.Y., Schaumann, E.N., A. Prominski, B. Tian, Journal of Visualized Experiments, 2020, e61581.
- “Recent Advances in Bioelectronics Chemistry.” Y. Fang*, L. Meng*, A. Prominski*, E. Schaumann*, M. Seebald, B. Tian, Chemical Society Reviews, 2020, ,49, 7978-8035.
- “Laser writing of nitrogen-doped silicon carbide for biological modulation.” V. Nair, J. Yi, D. Isheim, M. Rotenberg, L. Meng, F. Shi, X. Chen, X. Gao, A. Prominski, Y. Jiang, J. Yue, C. T. Gallagher, D. N. Seidman, B. Tian, Science Advances, 2020, 6(34),eaaz2743.
- ”Discrete pH-responsive Plasmonic Actuators via Site-selective Encoding of Nanoparticles with DNA Triple Helix Motif.” K. J. Gibson*, A. Prominski*, M. S. Lee, T. M. Cronin, J. Parker, and Y. Weizmann, Cell Reports Physical Science, 2020, 1(6), p.100080.
- “Size-dependent Thermo‐ and Photoresponsive Plasmonic Properties of Liquid‑Crystalline Gold Nanoparticles.” A. Prominski*, E. Tomczyk*, M. Pawlak, A. Jedrych, W. Lewandowski, and M. Wojcik., Materials, 2020, 13, 875.
- “Gold Nanoparticles Thin Films with Thermo‐ and Photoresponsive Plasmonic Properties Realized with Liquid‐Crystalline Ligands.“ E. Tomczyk*, A. Prominski*, M. Baginski, E. Gorecka, M. Wojcik, Small, 2019, 15, 1902807.
- “Phototunable Liquid‐Crystalline Phases Made of Nanoparticles.” A. Zep, M. Wojcik, W. Lewandowski, K. Sitkowska, A. Prominski, J. Mieczkowski, D. Pociecha, E. Gorecka, Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 2014, 126, 13945-13948.
“Biological Modulation from Micro-Supercapacitor-Like Mesoporous Carbon Membranes”, A. Prominski, B. Tian, 2021 Virtual MRS Spring Meeting & Exhibit. April 17-23, 2021.
”Laser-Assisted Synthesis of Ceramics for Biointerface Studies”, A. Prominski, B. Tian, 2020 Virtual MRS Spring/Fall Meeting and Exhibit. November 27 – December 4, 2020.
”Bioelectronic Modulation With Flexible Silicon Carbide-Based Devices Fabricated Using Laser Writing”, A.Prominski, B. Tian. IMECE2020 – Virtual Conference. November 16-19, 2020.
“Characterization of Phototunability and Ripening Process in Gold Nanostructures.” A. Prominski, and M. Wojcik. 58th Annual Meeting of Polish Chemical Society, Gdansk, Poland. September, 2015.
Patent application filled: “Methods and systems for modulating cellular activation.” Inventors: A. Prominski, M. Y. Rotenberg, B. Tian.
Patent application filled: “Carbon materials and devices for electrodes and biomodulation.” Inventors: A. Prominski, L. Meng, B. Tian.
Patent application filled: “Method of preparation of silicon carbide composition and use thereof.” Inventors: V. Nair, A. Prominski, B. Tian.
PCT Application WO2017025834A1: “Method of recycling precious metals from waste materials and use of precious metal nanoparticles obtained by this method.” February 16, 2017, priority to August 7, 2015. Inventors: M. Wojcik, A. Prominski, Z. Janczuk, W. Lewandowski.